Proposed Tour to Vosges Mountains, Alsace, France - July 2022

edited on Sun 3 Apr at 17:57 in Rides and tours
This posting has been made to provide a place to discuss a proposed tour to the Vosges Mountains in the Alsace region of France.  At this time, it is not possible to travel to France for tourism due to their Covid restrictions, however, I am hopeful these will ease soon.

The main objective is to participate in the CycloMontagnarde Vosges 2022 randonee.  The rest of the tour will be built around this.  This event is a two-day event that takes place on 2&3 July 2022.  It is organised by Colmar Cyclo Club, and is part of a series (that includes the BRA in which some of us participated in 2017 and 2019).  
It is certainly my intention to add some extra days touring in the Vosges, but nothing is yet decided.  It would be possible to have a couple of days based in Rouffach (south of Colmar), and also to ride between Rouffach and either Nancy/Metz/Strasbourg/Mulhouse/Basel (though carrying luggage).
At this time I am looking simply for expressions of interest and then we can decide together the shape of this tour beyond the CMV2022 event.  So if you are interested please contact me (e-mail: david@centrallondonctc.org.uk)

Outline of CMV2022 event

• Starting from Pfaffenheim (3km north of Rouffach, 15km south of Colmar) - near the Rhine between Strasbourg and Basel)
  • 1 or 2-day Randonnee (I am planning to do the 2-day option starting at 1 pm on Saturday, and using event luggage service).
  • Includes: Ballon d'Alsace (1174m), Grand Ballon (1344m), Petit Ballon (1166m).  The route option that includes all 3 Ballons d'Alsace is 209km with 4273m of climbing
  • The event is organising half-board accommodation either at the top of the Ballon d'Alsace or Bussang (back in the valley of the Moselle @90km).  This is likely to be quite primitive ('the rooms are composed of 2 to 8 beds').  However, accommodation is fairly limited.  I may try to self-book accommodation in Bussang.  

Travel

• Eurostar to Paris Gard du Nord. 
  • Currently, the Eurostar registered luggage service is not running.  An article in CUK magazine said it would restart 'in the summer', however, there is no information on the Eurostar website.  The bike service with CUK discount is usually £25-35 each way (depending on whether the bike is boxed).  It might be possible to use Eurodespatch boxes.  It might be possible to leave our own bike boxes with Eurodespatch in Paris, although that will require boxing and unboxing the bikes there and in London.  Currently difficult to get details due to French Covid travel restrictions.
  • There are direct Trains from Paris Gare de L'est to Colmar, change for Rouffach.  This leg is about 2hrs, about €41-51 each way + First class €7-12.  Unboxed bikes can only go 2nd class.  Gare de l'Est is about 800m from Gard du Nord, so even boxed bikes (on wheels) could be walked. 
  • It is possible to fly to Basel-Mulhouse-Freiberg airport (Easyjet from £180 including a boxed bike), and take the shuttle bus to St. Louis Gare and then the train to Rouffach.